Main inventories of wind energy for the fourth quarter of 2021
Wind power is part of the rapidly growing renewable energy industry, which is designed to produce energy with less carbon emissions and less pollution. The Global Wind Energy Council predicts that offshore wind sources, for example, will increase dramatically in the years to come. The industry has many facets, such as the development and management of wind farms, the production and distribution of electricity generated by wind power, and the manufacture, distribution and maintenance of machinery. The size of the competitors ranges from small players to large multinational companies that operate their wind energy business as a division or subsidiary. For example, General Electric Co. (GE) has a renewable energy division.
The wind energy sector, represented by the First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF (FAN), has underperformed the overall stock market over the past year. FAN has provided a total return of 27.9% over the past 12 months, which is higher than the Russell 1000’s 37.1% total return. These market performance figures and all statistics in the tables below are as of September 14, 2021.
Here are the top 3 wind stocks with the best value, fastest growth and most dynamic.
These are the wind stocks with the lowest 12-month price / earnings (P / E) ratio. Since profits can flow back to shareholders in the form of dividends and buybacks, a low P / E ratio shows that you are paying less for every dollar of profit generated.
|Best wind power stocks|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ billion)||12-month PER ratio|
|Vestas Wind Systems A / S (VWDRY)||13.71||41.5||36.9|
|TransAlta Renewables Inc. (RNW.TO)||CA $ 19.80||CA $ 5.3||39.7|
|Northland Power Inc. (NPI.TO)||CA $ 41.11||CA $ 9.3||47.8|
- Vestas Wind Systems A / S: Vestas Wind Systems is a Denmark-based wind energy company that designs, manufactures, installs and maintains wind turbines that generate electricity. The company serves customers all over the world.
- TransAlta Renewables Inc .: TransAlta Renewables is a Canadian-based power generation company. The company owns and operates renewable energy production facilities, including wind, hydro and gas. TransAlta Renewables announced in early September that it had agreed to acquire a 122 megawatt portfolio of operating solar facilities located in North Carolina for approximately $ 96.7 million from a fund managed by Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners. The transaction is expected to be finalized by the end of 2021.
- Northland Energy Inc .: Northland Power is a Canada-based power producer focused on building and operating clean and green global energy infrastructure. Its facilities generate electricity from clean-burning natural gas and renewable resources, including wind, solar and efficient natural gas. The company announced in August that it has completed the previously announced acquisition of a Spanish operating portfolio of onshore renewable energy projects from a fund sponsored by Plenium Partners and Bankinter SA. The assets acquired include onshore wind, solar photovoltaic and concentrated solar. Northland Power paid 348 million euros ($ 411 million) in cash and assumed debt of 716 million euros ($ 846 million) to complete the transaction.
These are the top wind power stocks ranked by a growth model that scores companies based on a 50/50 weighting of their most recent quarterly growth as a percentage of year-over-year revenue and their most recent growth. quarterly earnings per share (EPS) year-over-year. Sales and profits are critical factors in the success of a business. Therefore, ranking companies by a single growth indicator makes a ranking sensitive to accounting anomalies in this quarter (such as changes in tax laws or restructuring costs) that may render either figure unresponsive. representative of the company in general. Companies with quarterly EPS or revenue growth of over 2,500% were excluded as outliers.
|Fastest Growing Wind Energy Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ billion)||EPS growth (%)||Increase in income (%)|
|TPI Composites Inc. (TPIC)||35.82||1.3||N / A (see company description)||22.7|
|TransAlta Renewables Inc. (RNW.TO)||CA $ 19.80||CA $ 5.3||-18.2||-10.7|
|Boralex inc. (BLX.TO)||CA $ 39.13||CA $ 4.0||N / A (see company description)||21.5|
- TPI Composites inc. : TPI Composites is a global manufacturer of composite wind turbine blades for the wind power market. The company also provides services related to its wind turbine blades and offers composite product solutions to the transportation market. TPI Composites announced financial results for the second quarter of its fiscal (fiscal) 2021, ended June 30, 2021. The company’s net loss was down to $ 39.8 million from $ 66.1 million in the quarter. from last year, net sales increased 22.7%. Since the company reported negative EPS in the most recent quarter, an EPS growth rate could not be calculated for the table above.
- TransAlta Renewables Inc .: See above for company description.
- Boralex inc. : Boralex is a Canadian electricity producer engaged in the development, construction and operation of renewable energy power plants. The company operates the wind, hydroelectric, thermal and solar segments. Since the company reported negative EPS in the most recent quarter, an EPS growth rate could not be calculated for the table above.
Wind energy stocks have had the highest total returns over the past 12 months.
|Wind energy stocks with the most momentum|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ billion)||12-month total return (%)|
|General Electric Co. (GE)||100.38||110.2||104.9|
|Vestas Wind Systems A / S (VWDRY)||13.71||41.5||37.8|
|TransAlta Renewables Inc. (RNW.TO)||CA $ 19.80||CA $ 5.3||33.1|
|Russel 1000||N / A||N / A||37.1|
|First Trust Global Wind Energy ETF (FAN)||N / A||N / A||27.9|
- Societe Generale Electric: General Electric sells a diverse line of technological and financial products and services. It offers aircraft engines, water treatment, household appliances, industrial products and financing to businesses and consumers. It also offers power generation, including renewable power generation like wind and hydropower. GE announced at the end of July its financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2021, ended June 30, 2021. The company’s net loss attributable to common shareholders fell to $ 1.2 billion from $ 2.2 billion of dollars in the quarter of the previous year. Total revenues grew 8.8% year-on-year.
- Vestas Wind Systems A / S: See above for company description.
- TransAlta Renewables Inc .: See above for company description.
The comments, opinions and analysis expressed here are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt an investment strategy. Although we believe the information provided here is reliable, we do not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions and analysis contained in our content are as of the date of publication and are subject to change without notice. The material is not intended as a comprehensive analysis of every material fact about a country, region, market, industry, investment or strategy.
Investopedia requires that writers use primary sources to support their work. These include white papers, government data, original reports, and interviews with industry experts. We also reference original research from other reputable publishers where applicable. You can read more about the standards we follow to produce accurate and unbiased content in our
World Wind Energy Council. “Global Offshore Wind Report 2020” Accessed September 15, 2021.
YCharts. “Financial datas.” Accessed September 15, 2021.
TransAlta Renewables Inc. “TransAlta Renewables announces the acquisition of a fully contracted 122 MW solar portfolio in North Carolina. Accessed September 15, 2021.
Northland Power Inc. “Northland Power announces the closing of Spain’s onshore renewable energy portfolio.” Accessed September 15, 2021.
XE.com Inc. “1 EUR to USD – Convert Euros to US Dollars.” Accessed September 15, 2021.
TPI Composites Inc. “TPI Composites, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2021 Results – Achieves Double-Digit Revenue Growth in Tough Operating Environment. »Accessed September 15, 2021.
Boralex inc. “Boralex adds 743 MW to its project portfolio and increases its EBITDA (A) by 23% in Q2-2021”, page 2. Accessed September 15, 2021.
General Electric Co. “Form 10-Q for Quarterly Period Ended June 30, 2021” on page 28. Accessed September 15, 2021.