On this page you will find everything you need about surfing, the best boards to enjoy the waves, the types and how to do it. I said, if you are a lover of the sea, here you have absolutely everything:
Buy cheap adult surfboards
These are the most recommended surfboards on offer, there are all different types, as we will explain later and they are of the best quality
Kids surfboard deals
To make children love this sport from a young age, one of these mini tables is what you need, much lighter, they will have a great time.
The origin of surfing
Surfing seems to originate from the Hawaiian islands, at least James Cook when he arrived on these islands was impressed by how the natives glided on the waves. But also in other areas of South America there are indications of similar practices, as in Peru.
But beyond the origins you will surely be wondering if practicing this sport is easy or not and how much does the equipment cost. Here we are going to give you some guidelines, but you will also have to make decisions about what your preferences are, since the difficulty and the price will depend a lot on your aspirations.
What types of surfboards are there?
When choosing the ideal surfboard, in addition to the price being adjusted to your pocket, you need to be aware of your level, because you can buy the cheapest surfboard on the market and then not be able to use it because you are unable to stand on it.
- Fish : These are small, rounded boards. They are used for small waves.
- Shortboard : It is the most common, as you can use it on any type of wave. But it requires a certain level of dexterity.
- Gun : They are suitable for big waves. But you have to be a surfing expert to get on one.
- Longboard Decks : Long board for relaxed surfing, without too much physical effort. Perfect for beginners
- Malibu or Funboard : More maneuverable than the longboard as it is smaller. Also suitable for beginners to surf.
- SUP : Like the Fish, they are perfect for small waves, but as this board is longer it is a little less maneuverable.
- Tow-in : For big waves, they are small and narrow boards, but they have straps to hold the feet. However, if you are a beginner, refrain from buying such a board. Wait to improve your level.
- Bodyboard : It really is not a surfboard. It is a board usually made of polypropylene that allows you to enjoy the waves while you are lying down or kneeling on it.
Depending on your level, you will have to be more or less selective. Thus, if you are a beginner, we recommend a long and thick board such as the longboard or the Malibu. Then, when you start to master surfing, the choice will depend more on your tastes and the type of waves.
What size table do I need?
Well, in addition to the type of board associated with the type of surf and the type of waves, you also need to take into account your height and weight, so you are sure to choose the perfect board whether you are a child or an adult.
There are many ways to measure surfboards, length, width, thickness. But we recommend liters. In this simple way you can choose the ideal table.
Here is an indicative table of liters for all ages and levels. With it, you will already know where to start.
- From 17 to 20 liters shortboard for experts or for children.
- From 20 to 24 liters shortboard for experts or almost teenage children.
- Between 24 and 27 shortboard for expert or intermediate surfers.
- From 27 to 30 shortboard or funboard for experts or intermediates.
- From 30 to 33 shortboard or funboard for experts or intermediates.
- From 36 to 39 shortboard or funboard for experts or intermediates.
- More than 40 liters funboards or longboards for all surfers
And that's it, now you can choose your ideal surfboard, and here at On Shore Items you will be able to buy them at the best price.
What equipment do I need to practice surfing?
Well, obviously, the fundamental thing is the board, in the next section we will explain the types of surfboards that exist. But you should not forget paraffin, it is a kind of mineral oil (there are several types depending on the temperature of the water). This product is essential to avoid slipping on the board. Also, if you are a beginner, you can add the grip, which is a kind of rubber mat that sticks to the surface of the board to prevent you from slipping when you are on it.
Nor should you forget the wetsuit, which, in addition to maintaining your body temperature if the water is very cold, helps you avoid chafing on the skin.
Finally, it is interesting that when you are not using your surfboard you conveniently store it in a cover. In On Shore Items you will find the best covers for surfboards at the best prices.
What are the best times to learn to surf?
Choosing the right place to learn to surf is essential, not all beaches are suitable for beginners. We recommend you learn on beaches with small waves that do not exceed one meter in height. For example, the beaches of the Mediterranean, with calm and warm waters. The time will come to go to rougher seas such as the Cantabrian Sea or the Atlantic Ocean… And why not… Hawaii…
It is also desirable that there is no agglomeration of people. Think that you have no control over the board and you can cause an accident.